Thursday, September 18, 2008

tall

Yesterday I measured the girls. Ilsa, 2 1/2 years old, is as tall right now as Ingrid was on her 3rd birthday. And Ingrid has grown 1 1/2 inches since her 4th birthday. This makes them both taller than 93% of other kids their ages, respectively.

I'm wearing a green shirt today that Ingrid really likes for some reason. It's just green, nothing special. But today she asked if she could wear it when she is big enough. I have a feeling that's going to be sooner rather than later.


Ingrid has also been commenting on clothes A LOT lately. Unfortunately, she's commenting on styles that Chad and I just don't approve of. I think clothing is going to be a matter of prayer for our family in relation to Ingrid. She likes anything that is glitzy and fancy, or shows shoulders and back. It's that princess syndrome again. Arghhh!!!! Belle's yellow dress (from Disney's Beauty and the Beast) is her favorite Disney Princess ball gown. Yes, there's a heirarchy of ball gowns. And Jasmine's "Arabian Nights" outfit (my description) is her favorite "everyday outfit" worn by a Disney Princess. (Jasmine is from Aladdin.) It's not the most modest thing in the world. She is begging me to "make her a Jasmine costume" for Halloween. Not gonna happen.


Again a common theme in our lives: she was exposed to something, that we didn't want her to be exposed to, outside of our home. And we're not for cloistering. I love that she loves princesses...I love to see her femininity developing. But it KILLS ME that we have to teach her this lesson at 4! Why is she even thinking about this? She is constantly asking me about the princess' "womanly forms" in relation to modesty knowing full well what I'm going to say, yet she loves that "look".


I have always wanted my children to look like children, not little adults. I don't think the little adult thing is cute at all. Yet she is constantly drawn to adult-style clothing. At FOUR. I won't go so far as to call us victims, but we are targets of media bombardment. And we must continue to teach her discernment from a very young age.

3 comments:

Michael Joseph Sharp said...

I am beginning to see in my (almost) 3-year-old son what you are talking about here. It seems like yesterday that he was not even talking, but now he is beginning to echo and mirror things he hears and says. Kind of scary.

Cool blog.

As for true conservativism, have you checked out the Libertarian party at all? I have converted.

Unknown said...

A wise woman told me when The Girl was young that I shouldn't put her anything at two years of age that I didn't want to see her wearing at 16! I have kept that piece of wisdom close to my heart.

On the other hand, allowing her own sense of style to come through is good too. The Girl has had her own sense of style for along time, and so we started talking about modesty at a very young age. I have to remember that The Girl has different tastes in clothing than I do. I can lovingly encourage modesty without making her feel like her style is "wrong."

Just the humble opinion of a closet glitzy and fancy girl!

;)

stephanie j. said...

Hey Kellie!

Oh, I have no problem with glitz! Just her desire to dress much older than she is. I love the piece of wisdom you shared, and completely agree!

I have long let her pick her own clothes out of her drawer and closet, with veto power based upon weather and appropriateness, eg, no jeans to church, or short sleeves when it's 20 degrees! Today she's wearing a hand-me-down flower girl dress from someone's very pink wedding. It's so feminine, and she's in girlie heaven! And I'm thrilled with how excited she is to be parading around in taffeta, chiffon and pink rose blossoms.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...