Saturday, July 11, 2009

a shout-out to yarn jeannie!

HELP YARN JEANNIE! Give me some encouragement, or else pray that I wouldn't be so scattered!

I'm going to a baby shower TONIGHT and have re-started this small baby blanket 3 times now.
1. Started as a large standard granny square which I frogged.
2. Went to a waves pattern which I frogged.
3. Began a standard Project Linus pattern of sideways shells which I loved, but frogged because I realized I didn't have enough yarn.
4. Switched back to the granny which I hate because it's so blah...do you have any ideas to jazz-up a granny square beyond the dc 3, ch 3 at the corners; dc 3 ch 1 on the sides? I just can't think I'm so frustrated! I'm working with 3 colors: soft pink, soft chocolate brown and a muted raspberry...think "chocolate covered cherries".

I think it's a given that I will be giving a card with a note at the shower tonight, explaining that the blanket is in the works...

5 comments:

Yarnjeannie said...

I have a pattern on my blog - quite simple - for a hexagon shaped blanket. It would look great in the colors that you are working with. Here's a link to the post.
http://yarnjeanniescrochetcache.blogspot.com/2008/08/tuesday-afternoon.html

It will work up quickly, like a round ripple, and you can make it any size that pleases you. With three colors, you should be able to come up with a beautiful little blanket.

Yarnjeannie said...

Hi, Stephanie
You can try working the afghan with a smaller hook. I tend to work tightly. It will look just as good using an H or I hook.

I'm sure it will turn out just fine for you, and your finished afghan will be well-loved by the recipient! Handmade gifts are always crafted with love!

stephanie j. said...

Welllllll, I'm startin' over. I just sat down to take a look at what is going on with this thing, and somehow, in ring 3, THE YARN IS CUT. I'm DEFINITELY re-doing using your pattern. Way cuter anyway. Do-over number.....I gave up counting. Just how many times CAN you frog and re-use yarn?!

Yarnjeannie said...

How was the baby shower? And how is the blanket working out? Hope that all is well with you and yours!

stephanie j. said...

The shower was wonderful, except for my teary "baby-ache" moment that no one saw (I hope). Oooooh, how I miss the cooing, little breath-falls, tiny hands and smell of freshly-washed baby hair.

Anyway, I gave the mommy a card and enclosed a little braid of the yarn I'm using. I ended up doing a rectangular version of your hexagonal shape. I had NO SELF-CONFIDENCE at this moment to do a hexagon (the rectangle has been hard enough)...however, I'm going to do your pattern for my next two blankets: twin boys due November 1st! I'm throwing the shower in September, so I have a bit of time to get these cranked out...and hopefully with the Lord's help, exhibit patience.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...