Monday, January 31, 2011
Saturday, January 29, 2011
- Excedrin Migraine
- Direct flights on Alaska Airlines from the left coast to the right...see number 3
- Mr. BikeMan is comin' home this afternoon!
- Streaming Netflix has added The Munsters and Flipper
- Our church
- Starbucks Italian Roast at 0630 on a Saturday morning
- That I can re-watch last night's Fringe epi on Fox.com -- I actually fell asleep, not because I was bored, but because I was overcome by exhaustion
- An amazing new recipe for Dutch Babies
- Blue and white fingernail polish on little thumbs
- Snow days and school cancellations
Thursday, January 27, 2011
On the way home from picking up Ingrid from school the other afternoon, she announced that she wants to move to England.
I said, "Ingrid, did you know that the United States used to be a part of the British Empire? We used to be English." We do live near quite a few key Revolutionary War sites, after all, and we remind the girls often of our great nation's history.
She replied a bit petulantly, "I don't want to be American anymore. I want to be English!"
Perhaps I have her watch one too many BBC costume dramas, Doctor Who episodes, or left too many Austen and Dickens novels laying about.
Then she asked, "How long does it take to drive to England?" I suppose a geography lesson is in order.
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Monday, January 24, 2011
- Ingrid's orange fish (a Molly) is Rose Tyler
- Ilsa's gold fish (a Molly) is Donna Noble
- (I think their names are backwards, but the girls are adamant that is how they want them named...)
- My silver fish with the orange tail is Jackie Tyler (because I'm the Mom, and I'm Ingrid's Mom, and Jackie is Rose's Mom...how's that for logic?)
- The albino catfish is the TARDIS
- Since they've changed the naming scheme from Hamlet to Doctor Who, Mr. BikeMan's fish (the silver one with the black tail) is now The Doctor, the 10th Doctor to be specific.
Saturday, January 22, 2011
Thursday, January 20, 2011
I loved Ophelia: Forty thousand brothers
Could not, with all their quantity of love,
Make up my sum.
Hamlet - Act V Scene 1
We're having a bad few fishy days....
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Friday, January 14, 2011
Thursday, January 13, 2011
I'm crocheting a little TARDIS for a BBCAmerica contest. i'm hoping that she is full-grown soon, because we will want to take her out for a spin. Perhaps she could visit Mt. Vernon or the Washington Memorial, or perhaps the White House.
Monday, January 10, 2011
I've been hearing the girls sing this song for oh, about 9 months now. Little Ladybug Lady got TWO of them as gifts at her birthday party with her little friends on Saturday. She's in ladybug heaven!
Sunday, January 9, 2011
Please keep Congresswoman Giffords in your prayers. It sounds like her recovery is going to be slow and hard. Also pray for the victims who are still being treated for their serious wounds. Keep the families of those who were killed in your prayers.
We also need to pray for this man who has committed these horrible acts. Pray that his heart would be repentant, and that justice would be done.
Saturday, January 8, 2011
I have always struggled with making birthday cakes look...acceptable. I was at Michael's this week getting some supplies for Little Ladybug Girl's birthday party later today, and came across Duff Goldman's new line of cake decorating supplies. I saw his pre-made fondant, and thought, why not? It had to taste better than WIlton fondant, and I'm used to rolling stuff with all of the bread baking that I do. Surely it had to be easier than piping frosting.
I'm a convert! I don't know that I'll ever pipe frosting again! I'm NOT bragging, I'm just extolling the virtues of this stuff! Now I will try and find a homemade fondant recipe, though Duff's stuff tastes really good. It's just pricey. So, see for yourself: