Tuesday, August 24, 2010

lonely

This post is not meant to be maudlin. It's just that I'm, well, lonely. Moving every three years has its advantages but the loneliness is one aspect which is impossible to get used to. The girls keep me occupied, but I can't really have a chat over coffee with them, or ask them to be a part of my book club, or ask them to help me decide between the black and fuchsia Dooney & Burke and polka dotty Le Sportsac casual purses upon which I have my eye. I can't really do these things with Mr. BikeMan, either. As to coffee, he's off at work. As to book club, my tastes run one way: eastward "across The Pond" - Austen, Gaskell, even Jasper Fforde, etc...; his run straight towards post-apocalyptic, dystopic fiction. And as for the purse discussion, the answer would be in the form of a question (like Jeopardy), "don't you already have a purse?"

So, you frequent movers, how do you find friends? I don't want to come across as that needy nut who grabs at friendship, but on the other hand, I can't just sit back like a wall flower and wait for the suitors to come and ask me to dance, either...

2 comments:

Hope Rebecca said...

I don't have suggestions, really, but I sympathize. As the daughter of a Naval officer and now married to a compulsive nomad, I moved (and move) a lot. It's hard. I just moved this summer too and I'm hoping that now that Fall is here with dance classes for my little one and other activities that I'll finally start meeting others.

I wish you luck!

Kirsten said...

I'm sorry you're lonely friend. I understand. My only advice would be to pray! Pray, pray, pray. Pray that God would provide you with the friends you need, the friends your girls need, the friends your family needs. It's what we've done every time we've moved (our move here was our 4th move in 10 years of marriage), and God has always provided friends. I'll be praying the same. Sorry I don't have any more "how-to's"... you are delightful! God will provide.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...