Monday, August 10, 2009

yet another wise voice regarding tv

While over at Tim Challies' blog this morning, I found link to this blog post by Randy Alcorn regarding wisdom and television. I think the Lord is more than tickling our ears. Cancel it already!

Yesterday the TV was off and I just sat in the silence and crocheted while Chad read and the girls played with puzzles. (Well, it was off for a while, until we popped in a video for the girls -- the old BBC version of "The Silver Chair," which is actually high quality entertainment.) Our sermon yesterday was "How to Listen to a Sermon" (the audio should be posted presently if it isn't already there) -- listening is becoming harder and harder these days because of all of the visual input. (See "Amusing Ourselves to Death" for more on this.) Listening is going to have to become a learned practice in our modern era.

At this point, I feel like I'm starting to make excuses...why haven't we canceled the cable yet? There are so many better things we should be doing. Am I afraid that I won't know what to do with myself? Hardly. I have a list a mile long of special projects that could be completed at a leisurely and possibly enjoyable pace if I didn't have the idiot box on every night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...