Thursday, February 5, 2009

taking the plunge

So....we've decided to homeschool Ingrid in the fall. Kinder, we figure, is a great way to dip our feet in the water, as there is "nothing to lose" -- according the State, which of course is untrue -- there is a LOT to lose, and that's the reason we've chosen this mode of education.

Both girls are home sick today, Ingrid not as snotty as Ilsa, but enough to remain away from the germ factory that is Pre-K. So I decided to "homeschool" her -- she was thrilled. I have a few educational things here at home that I've been collecting: a bunch of Kumon workbooks, "The Big Book of Questions and Answers About Jesus" workbook that we picked up at the Ligonier conference last summer, and I printed worksheets for the letter X, as that is what she would have been doing today at school.
The thing that excites me most is that she was so engaged with the Bible lesson. She went and grabbed the book, then got HER Bible off of the shelf (it's a real one, not a kiddie Bible) and brought them to me. We sat on the couch and read out of The Word, then did the workbook together. Ilsa listend as long as her 3 year old ears could last, and then toddled off to do princess stickers. Here is Ingrid's picture of the burning bush of Exodus 2; the lesson was about the names of God -- specifically why Jesus' name means "The Lord Saves", hence the Exodus 2 reading. The brown blobs above "I AM" are Moses' sandals :) The model for the bush is our pokey Catsclaw Acacia in the front yard...it is tall and pokey and brown and icky.

We were done in 1 hour! And she did GREAT! I could have done more, but I could see she was dragging, and Ilsa needed attention, as well.
I'm excited. I have a smile on my face. I am re-energized about her education!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yay!! I know you will be an awesome teacher for your sweet girls!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...