Monday, February 8, 2010

i admit it -- i'm a Fringe fan

We don't have cable TV -- simply a digital antenna on our roof that pulls digital-broadcast shows from the major networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, 5 PBS stations) and a few independents. We are so happy with the decision we made to dump the cable last summer. Our viewing habits have completely changed... we don't just plop down and surf anymore. If we know there's something on we want to watch, we turn on the TV. If not, it is off.

But I have a few shows that I don't like to miss: House (I like good medical mysteries), Chuck (funny and quite innocent, but it's on against House, so I have to choose), Lost (mysterious, smart, they even sometimes speak Latin for goodness sake!), American Idol (I'm blushing), Masterpiece Classic (I love a good costume drama) and Fringe.

For those of you who know me, does it surprise you that I like Fringe? I recently heard it described as the frightening child of The X-Files and House, if TV shows could procreate. Good description. But what drives me to this show is the writers' apparent assumption that people are smart. It's not an easy show to follow. You have to pay attention. The relationships are complex. The humor (hilarious -- especially Walter Bishop's character) is sometimes very subtle. The acting is superb. The writing is excellent. You can play games like "find The Observer" each week and "find the hidden pictures (aka "glyphs"). The story develops over over months and even years, not in 52 minutes. It is also scary, sometimes gross (I often have to look away) and mind-bending.

I can hardly wait until April 1st. I even put a countdown widget on the bottom of the blog. I'm such a geek.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...